Saturday, October 23, 2010

Family Trip 2010

Yes, I called it a trip, not a vacation. A friend of mine said she had a friend who called it that when she had young kids, and its definitely more fitting. :) It was fun, for sure. And nice to not be in the daily grind and rush, but taking 3 kids out of their home and routine for 8 days is an adventure! Luckily it got better as the days went by, cause after day 1 we were ready to come home!

Day 1:
We drove. And drove. And drove some more. Our destination for day 1 was Primm, Nevada, just outside the California border. The kids had done surprisingly well in the car, we got to the hotel, checked in, got some dinner and went to settle down for the evening. Kate would NOT sleep in her the portacrib, and basically wouldn't sleep at all. Ryan spent hours walking her around the parking lot cause the halls were too smokey until she fell asleep. Then she had to sleep in bed with me, leaving no room for Ryan, so he tried to sleep on the floor. Just when we thought sleep might be possible, James fell out of bed waking everyone up. So I went to sleep next to James (I had about 3 whole inches to sleep on) and Ryan took over my spot next to the baby. Once James was finally sound asleep and we'd rigged some cushion in case he fell again, Ryan and I squeezed onto our bed and started to doze off (this is about 3am at this point). Just when all was calm again James sat up and threw up all over himself, the bed and his poor sister sharing a bed with him. The whole family was wide awake now and we undertook the clean up, calling house keeping for bedding and washing down the kids. eew. We discussed going home at this point, but decided we had to give California a chance. We turned on the tv to let the kids settle down and make sure James was ok and we finally all fell asleep around 4:30 and slept until about 7:30. So tired!

Day 2:
We tried to do some outlet shopping but the kids melted down about every 3 seconds because they were so tired, so we gave up and headed out on the 4 1/2 hour drive to our final destination Indio, California. The kids slept most of the way, thank heavens, and we made it to the condo without incident. The condo was AWESOME! This is the view from our back balcony...

It had a full kitchen, and two bedrooms so the big kids shared one, Ryan and I had our own bed, and we set up Kate's camp in the living room. We got a little swimming in before bed and then everyone slept pretty well. Kate woke up at least once every night of the trip, but she at least would sleep in the crib.

Day 3:
We hung out at the pools (there were two more besides what you see in the picture, plus a lazy river and a bunch of hot tubs) and wandered the resort and did not step foot in the car. It was great!

Day 4:
We took it easy all morning and then after lunch headed off to the coast (about another 2 hour drive) to see my brother David. I get to see him maybe once a year so it was really nice to get to see his house and have dinner with his family. His kids rock!

Day 5:
This was another take it easy day. We swam and did crafts with the kids and then had a big barbecue with all our friends that went with us on the trip. We were using our friends the Brumfield's time share and the Aune's came along too. It made it fun for the kids to have all their friends along! The girls all got a few minutes to head over to the spa and got a hand treatment and mini-massage. Fabulous!

Day 6:
The whole trip we had been debating whether we should go to an amusement park. we really didn't have the money, but all our friends were going and we felt like we had to take the chance since we are so rarely in California, and since it was almost Beth's birthday, so we ponied up a lot of money and took the kids to Disneyland! Of course, Owen luck kicked in and it rained. And rained. And Poured! My brother said maybe 7-10 days of the last 4 1/2 years have rained like that. We bought ponchos the second we walked in the park, but we were already soaked from our walk to the tram from the parking lot. Seriously drenched. The one upside to rain at Disneyland? Much shorter lines! But, some rides were closed and the kids were freezing most of the time, but we tried to make the most of it. It did clear up for a couple hours in the middle in the afternoon, so that was nice. The kids had a good time, Ryan and I felt a little bummed cause we didn't get to go on any of our favorite rides, but it was still a good time.

The rain! Disney made a fortune on overpriced ponchos that day!

Day 7:
We packed up and drove to Vegas to check into another condo. I might have even liked this one a little better, though it was basically the same as the first. The weather wasn't stellar but the pools were warm so we still took advantage!

Day 8:
We went down to "The Strip" and walked, and walked, and walked! We saw the Lions at MGM, and saw the M&M store, ate lunch at a fancy place in the Palazzo, then saw the gondolas in the Venician and rode the monorail. Then back to the condo for more swimming!

That night, thanks to the Brumfields, Ryan and I actually got to go on a date! It was the most fun date we've been on in a long time! We headed back down to the strip and went on the rollercoaster at the New York, New York. Then we walked down to the Bellagio and watched the fountain show, then had dinner at Serendipity and ice cream at Ghirardelli! Other than the smut peddlers all over the streets, it was a fantastic evening!

The next morning we packed up and headed home. All told we spent about 33 hours in the car. Yikes! And poor Kate spent more time than that in her carseat in the stroller. No wonder she was so clingy whenever she was out of it! Everyone was ecstatic to be home and we all slept like logs in our own beds. Fun trip, lots of adventure, but I think it'll be a while before we go on a family trip again! haha! Now if I could get a vacation to recover!


Emily said...

That sounds like such a fun trip! Besides the awful first day, the rest of it sounds heavenly, for real. And how cute are all the princesses in the warm-weather gear?? Love that. I bet it was a blast to go with friends.

My favorite part of your post? "Kate woke up at least once every night of the trip"...heh heh heh. Zoe wakes up 2-3 times a night...EVERY night, trip or not. You're one lucky mama!

BensonFam said...

Oh I wanted to cry after reading the Day 1 recap! Glad things improved and that you guys had a lot of fun (and a great date!) Let me know when you're sufficiently recovered to start exercising again (and dinner swapping perhaps?)